Feb 22, 2010

{basketball}


B's really enjoying his first year of basketball. As a team, it's not going so well, but individually, he's improving and learning the game. He actually does really well for never playing before. I'm sure he's played a little bit in school, and he plays around a little bit on the driveway, but as far as playing in an organized league, this is his first time. He usually makes a basket or two at each game. . and he's getting the hang of dribbling and rebounding. At this age, it's really funny to watch because so many kids are so busy concentrating on guarding their man that they don't even know where the ball is until it hits them. Then there are a few kids that play in a traveling league and it's obvious that they play three times the games that the other kids do because they know how to drive in and make lay-ups, and they're much more confident with the ball.
B had an opportunity to play on a traveling team this year, but after learning how many kids were going to be playing on the team, we opted not to put that kind of money and time into it where B might only get 10-15 min of playing time each game. Plus we weren't sure how B was going to like it. I think Jr. Jazz has been fine for him this year. If another opportunity presents itself, we may go for it because with a little bit of good coaching and some extra playing time, he just may be the next Shaq. Hahaha.. just kidding. I haven't left reality. He enjoys playing, and he's not too bad, but he's an average boy that just wants to be part of the pack! And we LOVE him being a part of our pack!
R & R are playing church ball with their Deacon's quorum, and it gets pretty aggressive sometimes. You know how church ball is! I'm quite certain that I couldn't keep up with those boys at the pace they keep in those ball games.. and our gym is pretty small. It seems like they're bouncing from one end of the gym to the other for 45 min straight sometimes.
The first week or two, the boys came home pretty frustrated because there were some boys that didn't play too aggressively. "They just stand on the court with their hands in their pockets", one of them said to me. So we had to have the talk about how church sports are just like all church activities, and the purpose is to bring people to Christ. We talked about boys that don't come out to church much, but they'll come and play basketball; and if we win a game, that's just a bonus. I told them that I'm pretty competitive too (hard to believe, I know), and it's sometimes hard to remember why we're there, but that if we can help just one person, it's worth our time. Plus WE need to stay involved with others, and we're getting some exercise! I think they're getting it, but darn it's hard sometimes when you just want to win! R & R are both pretty darn good boys. . at basketball, and at learning life lessons. They don't even roll their eyes too much when I have to give them my little speeches. They make me feel like I really might know a little bit about what I'm talking about. Thanks boys!

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Finally! It was almost like you have 4 kids and no time to take a minute and update us on the Newmans! Like that would ever happen... :)

Brady