
PREPARING FOR THE YEARLY MAMMOGRAM
Many women fear their first mammogram, and even if they had them before, there is the fear. But, there is no need to worry. By taking a few minutes each day for a week preceding the exam and doing the following practice exercises, you will be totally prepared for the test, and best of all, you can do these simple practice exercises in the privacy of your home.
EXERCISE 1: Open your refrigerator door, and insert one breast between the door and the main box. Have one of your strongest friends slam the door shut as hard as possible and lean on the door for good measure.
Hold that position for five seconds.
Repeat in case the first time wasn't effective.
EXERCISE 2: Visit your garage at 3 a.m. when the temperature of the cement floor is just perfect. Take off all your clothes and lie comfortably on the floor sideways with one breast wedged under the rear tire of the car. Ask a friend to slowly back the car up until your breast is sufficiently flattened and chilled.
Switch sides, and repeat for the other breast.
EXERCISE 3: Freeze two metal bookends overnight.
Strip to the waist.
Invite a stranger into the room.
Have the stranger press the bookends against either side of one of your breasts and smash the bookends together as hard as he/she can.
Set an appointment with the stranger to meet next year to do it again.
**Yep, I had my first. . and to be honest, it wasn't that bad! October is breast cancer awareness month. . so I'm making a plan to get my mammogram at the first of October every year. My mom was diagnosed with BC at 36, so I'm at high risk anyway. But when I was visiting with the tech that did my mammogram, she said that you don't have to wait for your doctor to tell you to get one. If you're 35+, please go get one. If you do the above exercises, the mammogram will be relaxing. It really is not painful. It may hurt, but only for about two seconds. Maybe I just had a very good tech. . she WAS very nice! I'll get off my soapbox now. I just want to make everyone aware. . mammograms save lives!! (The worst part of the whole thing was walking around in the little top they call a gown hoping my girls weren't peaking out.)
7 comments:
ok that one about laying on the cement just cracked me up!! totally!!! what a great idea, i haven't had one yet and the thought of it does scare me. my mom says it wasn't so bad either, but it sure sounds miserable. But the benefits out weigh what could happen if i dont.
I'm sitting here laughing at those exercise suggestions and also thinking oh...man...! Here we go! Thanks for the reminder Ang.
One more thing to look forward to :)
Wow you are weird.
I love it!! Thanks for the important reminder.
ohhh, the things we have to go through!.... but would you really want to be a man instead? HA HA HA I crack myself up! :D
Great excercises would you come over and try slamming my girls in the fridge hhahaha I am still laughing . Thanks for the reminder I have had one but it was quite a few years ago I hope now that I am older (but not as old as you) I won't be so shy I was a nervous reck last time. My girls wasn't as big as they are now they won't have to stretch them so far but maybe I better get them prepared and try your thoughts on excercising. Thanks for the laughs
Post a Comment