
Wasn't General Conference inspiring? I loved it. I want to do the things I can to be a better person. . more loving, kind, tolerant, positive. . and enjoy these moments. It always feels great to hear from our Prophet!
My question is this: What do you do about your kids during Conference? and How did your parents treat you about Conference?
I feel so torn about it. I, of course, would love for my kids to sit down and watch and listen with me (and take notes would be good), but realistically it just doesn't happen. Do I make them watch it and hope they don't hate it as they get older? or do I let it be their choice and just request that if they choose to be in the room they stay quiet? I've printed the cute little worksheets that someone takes the time to put together. . they keep their attention for about 45 min. I let them build the tent with blankets representing the time when all the Nephites gathered to hear King Benjamin. . that worked okay until they were done with the worksheets, and then it was playtime under the blankets.
Shane and I discussed it, and we both had the same experience as kids: we weren't "made" to watch, but if we were in the room, we had to keep it quiet. That must have worked because we both LOVE listening to Conference now. Maybe if we set the example by watching and showing our children how happy it makes us to watch, they'll want to watch it too!!??
So tell me. . what are your thoughts on my questions?? Leave me a comment!
6 comments:
We play conference bingo. It works pretty good for about half of each session...until everyone has won all the prizes! I am grateful they last as long as they do, and then I am with you--as long as they are quite enough that I can listen I don't mind them playing in their rooms or whatever. Today Katie commented to me about something she liked from one of the talks--so somewhere in there she learned something!
I try to keep in mind that Hailee Jo is just starting to sit and listen in Sacrament meeting. (attention spans & comprehension) I know it is important for them to know our prophet and what he & the apostles are teaching us. We try to point out to the kids who is speaking and what they are speaking about. If they are telling a story we try to focus their attention on the story. They get bits & pieces and we try to teach them about different conference talks through FHE.
We were on the road this Sunday & I was kind of bummed because I was anxious to try bingo & some of the activities you mentioned. I guess next time!
I was made to listen and pay attention. I didn't like it. But I love it now.
With our kids we make sure they are in the room, being quiet, but they can do whatever they want.... they played with toys, colored, built a "fort" with blankets, had plenty of snacks, and Kristian scrapbooked.
Hopefully someday they will love it as much as we do, and will remember something from when they were young! :D
I'm the same with everyone too. Do something quiet. If they are mostly quiet, they will hear something. I always 'make' the kids sit and listen when the prophet is speaking. I want them to know it's important that we listen to what he says. And then we try to use the other messages from the conference Ensign to supplement FHE.
I think whatever works one conference, may not work for the next. Setting the example is the best we can do. From what I have seen, you guys are awesome parents. You probably don't need to worry! Just let them know what is important to you....
Angie- I found you blog through a bunch of links. I really am with you on being torn for conference. We were made to listen for sure to the Sunday morning conference. I think my parents would have liked us to stay for the others, but if we could get out of their sight and be quiet they would leave us alone. Now I make my kids listen when the prophet speaks and I have it on and make them be quiet while I listen. I think that's the best we can do and then let the Holy Ghost work his magic. I have a friend whose parents made them dress in church clothes for all 4 sessions, ick. When we first moved to Colorado we had to go to the church and watch. I didn't realize how easy I had it growing up and how effortless it was. Hope your life is great.
Sari Udy McNeil
Post a Comment