Our second "real" camping trip of the summer. (Real meaning: in the forest & not for a baseball tournament) We weren't sure if we were going to get this one in. We had tried to schedule it a couple different times, and this time it finally worked out. The weather was perfect.. Nice and cool at night, warm (not-to-hot) during the day. The canyon is just so beautiful, and I can't help but reflect on the creation of it when I'm there. We are so blessed to have such beauty around us.
One morning after a delicious breakfast that was cooked up by our fabulous husbands, someone (I believe it was Tiff) suggested that we go on a hike. After a little discussion, we all agreed and decided upon the White Pine Lake trail.. it couldn't be more than 3 or 4 miles round trip. We didn't even need a lunch, because we would be back to the trailers by lunch time. We'll just take some snacks. Thank goodness we did take snacks. The hike ended up 7.6 miles, and we got back at DINNER time!
When we got over to the trailhead, there was a sign that said White Pine Lake was 3 miles, but we decided that we'd take the hike anyway.. if we got too tired, we'd just turn around and come back. We all were great sports.. especially the kids. I was pleasantly surprised how well they did. There was barely any complaining.. just a few "are-we-almost-there?"s And they were all excited when we finally reached the lake. At the lake, we sat and rested, and wolfed down all the snacks we had while taking in the beauty surrounding us. And when it was time to go back, we marched single file up the trail at a steady pace. We hiked out faster than we had hiked in. Shane checked his GPS when we returned, and it said we had gone 7.6 miles!! I never would have guessed I had it in me. If someone would have mentioned the 7.6 miles, I positively would have voted against it. It felt really good though.. and I'm glad we did it. I think the kids will remember it for a long time.
*Some fun along the way..
*Homemade backpack..
*Smiles because WE MADE IT!
So the next day, we decided it was all about RELAXING. We packed up the lunches, and headed to Bear Lake for the day. (Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about.) The kids didn't relax much, there was too much playing to do. I, on the other hand, didn't do anything BUT relax. Unless you count when I thought B had drowned.. talk about scarry! He had been out playing in the water.. by himself. We were watching him. But he was out there quite far. You know how at Bear Lake you can do that.. it just gradually gets deeper. The next thing I know, I'm counting heads.. over and over, asking, "where's B?" We couldn't see him ANYWHERE. I don't know how many times I checked the kids, checked the groups of people near us, checked the water.. hoping I would see him. All four of us adults were on our feet searching what seemed like a long time, but in reality was probably only a minute. Tiff had started walking down the beach, and B jumped out of a deep hole trying to scare her. He thought it was soo funny. He didn't understand the seriousness of how scared we all had been. I was just so relieved to see his little smiling face. What a kid! Other than that, we did a lot of relaxing! It was good.. real good.
On the way back from the lake, we came around the corner and were surprised to see this mama moose. She was just standing in the pond having a drink. We never did see a calf, but I suspect there was one off in the bushes somewhere. Isn't she beautiful? Having a look at wildlife always makes the trip more worthwhile to me.
Our camping spot wasn't the spot we were hoping for, but the one we ended up getting worked out well. There was a nice little spot in the river for the kids to play in. They had tons of fun down there. I don't know how many times they came back with wet socks & shoes.. not that we were always happy about that. But the kids had a great time, and that's what is important!
We had a wonderful time.. good food, great friends, and MUCH play. We were even able to fit in a few rounds of the Ninja game!
Thanks friends for an awesome time!
1 comment:
Thank YOU! It was great fun and I'm really glad we were persistent in getting it planned. We had a super time...wish we could go again soon!
Post a Comment