Jun 11, 2010

{Earthquake Lake}


Even after all these years and seeing it for the third time in my life, the site and the lake that were created by the earthquake in 1859 are very humbling to behold. I had visited the Quake Lake visitors center two other times before I was married, and I have wanted to take Shane there FOR.ever. To stand on that very ground, to read and hear the stories about the quake, must have left a strong impression on my young mind.. because I have wanted to take Shane there for years, knowing he would be as touched by it as I was. It is so awesome to think of how small we are in contrast to the forces of nature. As humans, we sometimes forget that we are not in control of things, and seeing things such as Quake Lake remind us that there is a much higher power than us.

I loved watching my kids soak up the awesomeness of the area.. listening to the words of the film.. learning from the guides at the center.. feeling empathy for those who were taken victim to the quake.. touching the boulders that had shifted from one side of the canyon to the other. Quake Lake is a great piece of history, geology, and a reminder of nature's power. Everytime I visit, I feel very humbled by the whole aspect of it. I'm so grateful that I got to visit with my husband and children as well as my mom, brother, sister, and their families too!

1 comment:

TiffaniS said...

I've never been to quake lake and now I really want to see it! What a fun family vacation! I loved the buffalo post! Too funny. I always love your pictures & the stories that go with them.