Jun 10, 2010

{Stampede!!}

So we're on our way out of the park and we got caught in this long line of backed-up traffic. We assumed it was from the construction they were doing on the road & bridges. About 15-20 minutes later we got up to where we could see that it wasn't road construction at all, but a small herd of buffalo that wanted to use the road for a sidewalk. They weren't in any hurry at all, and they weren't interested in walking along the side of the road. They were just casually making their way down the road to wherever it was they were going.



Every once in a while, they would give one or two cars an opportunity to pass them. I had decided to use the video camera, so Shane and Rusty got these pictures. When it was our turn to pass, Shane got this picture out of my window. I, very literally, could have just reached my hand out the window and touched this big, bad boy.
As we were very slowly passing I thought to myself, "This guy could just decide to turn and ram me!" *scary*

So as we passed, the buffalo all make their way back out onto the road in front of my brother's vehicle, which was right behind us. My sister's van and my mom's car were behind my brother. So I sit up on the door hanging out my window to video the herd and tell Shane to stop the car. Meanwhile, two of the buffalo decide to do a little fighting, and in the process one of them backs up into a car that was headed the opposite direction as us. The other buffalo are still walking toward us. Something startled all the buffalo, so they all start jogging toward the back of our car.

Here's the funny part.. Bryant (very seriously) says, "Dad, dad, they're charging!"
Shane, laughs.
B yells, "Mom, get in!!"
I say, "It's a stampede.."
More laughing. B wasn't laughing.
Holy cow.. it was sooo funny! And the best part is that I got it all on video. If I figure out how to load it on here, you'll get to see it.

Eventually the other cars were able to get around them and we were back on track. But this was a part of the vacation that all of us will definitely remember for a long, long time!


The girls all wanted to ride with Grandma, and they had a really fun time together being silly.. can you tell?? I wonder who was really in charge?

And who are these two handsome fellas posing?? :)

2 comments:

All About Us said...

OMG you have to figure out how to load that video! I wish we were able to see all the wildlife that you guys seen.

Heidi said...

that looks like a riot! and those buffalo, holy crap!! I think i would have been with B on that one!! not laughing ;)