Jun 11, 2010

{Virginia City}

WARNING: this is a negative, boring post. Proceed with caution.


I'd been to Virginia City before too.. when I was younger. I didn't have a whole lot of memory of the place. Only the old shops, the boardwalk, and the candy store: watching the machine pull the taffy and the candy that looked like colorful rocks.

I'm not gonna lie.. this stop was kind of a let down for me. It was a long drive to an old mining town that didn't have much to offer. We ate lunch in an overpriced cafe/flea market. There was so much crap hanging on the walls and sitting around, and everything was for sale. Not kidding.. everything had a price tag on it. I seriously couldn't eat because it smelled like a thrift store in there. And anyone that really knows me knows that I don't love the smell of old thrift stores.
{This is my sister and her family minus Kolton who sat with Grandma. See all that crap on the walls?? The whole store was like that.. really!}

Other than the ice cream shop, the candy store, and the train ride, I'd consider Virginia City pretty empty. There were old, old buildings, but nothing Pioneer Village at Lagoon doesn't have.. except the nudie posters. The cafe had a calendar hanging on the wall of nude women. That's fine for some.. but we had five boys ages 13 and under with us. Everything was fine until "Big D", who's 8, went back to use the restroom and couldn't wait to tell the other two younger boys. Oh well, I guess they got a lesson in female anatomy while on vacation. Boys.

We took a little train ride (again, not unlike Lagoon) from Virginia City to Nevada City, another old mining town. Not much excitement there either. Just a few photos. In my opinion, if you've been to an old mining town, don't waist your time visiting Virginia City.. unless you've got half a day to kill. The funnest part of the day for me was probably the drive back to the cabin. We counted over 120 antelope.. and even that got old really quick. At least my family can say we've been there, and we won't have to go back again.{This is my brother and his wife.. they're in LOVE.}
{My mom's favorite kids minus Kolton again.}

No comments: