May 13, 2008

Kindergarten Day. .

. . at the farm. The North Park Kindergarten field trip has been held at the family dairy for at least the last eleven years. That's the first one I can remember. I don't really know how long they've been coming out. All of my kids' classes have been out, and this year it was finally Macy's turn.



The kids get to take a look at whatever baby animals grandpa's got rounded up from all the neighbors and family around, then they take a walk down the canal road and see all the 'tween cows, and then watch a demonstration of how to milk a cow inside the barn. This year, they added a NEW event, and neighbor Jill demonstrated how to make butter out of the cream. After everyone has had a look around the farm, we serve each of them an ice cream cone (the favorite part of the kids). It's so funny to see the reaction of all the "city kids" (and parents). As soon as they step off the bus they're plugging their noses. They aren't used to the beautiful smells out here in the country! We are so lucky to live amongst those great smells.


2 comments:

Katie B said...

I have lived in the country my whole life, and this particular country for 6 years, and I still don't like that "dairy farm" smell!

Glad Macy had a great time, though. :0)

Arlene said...

That's great that your family takes so much time and effort to give that experience to kids who never would otherwise! I don't love the smell, but I prefer if over SMOG!!